Euro Canals News

Your most trusted news channel

Brenda and her daughter Deborah appeared on Mr Lewis’ ITV show to share their story after Brenda was left with aphasia after suffering a major stroke in 2015. They watched a previous episode of the show and realised they could get a exemption from their local authority.

They filled in the form on the council website and provided evidence that Brenda was receiving disability benefits and a note from their doctors.

Deborah said they found the process “really easy” and six weeks later they received a council tax rebate to 2015, for around £7,800.

Brenda said it was a “great surprise” to get the council tax back payments. A person who lives on their own can get up to 100 percent off their council tax bill.

Deborah said they did know her mum could claim Disability Living Allowance because of her condition, but it was only through watching the Martin Lewis Show she realised they could apply for the council tax discount.

Brenda said she was “very relieved” to get the council tax rebate. The family spent the money on things to improve Brenda’s quality of life including a riser and recliner chair for her and a new mattress.

The process for getting a severe mental impairment (SMI) discount will vary for each council so people should check with their local authority.

A person can get a 25 percent council tax discount if they live with someone who is SMI and there are no other adults in the household, or if everyone else in the property is disregarded when calculating council tax.

A person is disregarded from a council tax bill for a property if they are aged under 18 or if they are aged 18 or 19 and someone is entitled to Child Benefit for them.

People aged 18 or 19 are also disregarded if they are in full time education, as well as those studying for a degree or on a postgraduate course.

Long-term hospital patients and care home residents are also disregarded, as well as those staying in a hostel or night shelter.

A person can find out who their local council is using a postcode tool on the Government website.

Those with a permanent health condition are also disregarded for council tax bills, but a person will need a doctor’s certificate to verify this.

They will also be claiming one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit with limited capability for work or work related activity
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Middle or higher rate care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • The disability element in Working Tax Credit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance
  • Unemployability Supplement
  • Constant Attendance Allowance paid from industrial injuries scheme
  • Unemployability Allowance paid from War Pension Schemes
  • Income Support including a disability premium due to incapacity for work
  • If a person hosts people under the ‘Homes for Ukraine’ scheme, they’re disregarded for council tax.