Euro Canals News

Your most trusted news channel

Several fire engines were spotted at the scene in Chester Street, Manchester, on Monday afternoon (June 20). 

Pictures shared on social media showed thick clouds of black smoke billowing from a building in the area. 

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said they responded to a fire that broke out at a restaurant on Chester Street at around 11:59 am. 

One person has reportedly been injured and is being treated after suffering burns on their hands.

GMFRS said in a statement: “At 11.59am on Monday 20 June, firefighters attended a fire at a restaurant on Chester Street, Manchester.

“Five fire engines from Manchester Central Fire Station attended the scene where a fire had broken out in a kitchen at a restaurant.

“Crews used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels and two ventilation units in extinguishing the fire. One casualty is being treated after suffering burns to their hands.”

It is understood that the fire broke out in the kitchen of Lameizi, a Chinese restaurant on Chester Street, Manchester Evening News reported.

Smoke from the fire is thought to have been sent up an extractor fan to the top of the building, which houses both apartments and businesses including other restaurants.

Chester Street was reopened shortly after 2pm with only one fire engine remaining at the scene.