Tottenham chief Daniel Levy has reached out to Julian Nagelsmann about the possibility of replacing Antonio Conte in north London following the latter’s departure on Sunday, according to reports. Levy will be tasked with sourcing a permanent successor for the Italian coach over the coming weeks after he left the club by mutual consent just weeks before the expiry of his contract, which was poised to run down at the end of the season.
Nagelsmann quickly emerged as a potential candidate for the Tottenham job after he was sacked by Bayern Munich last week, with former Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel having since joined the German giants as an immediate replacement. It seems as though Tottenham are indeed keen on bringing Nagelsmann to English shores in the not-too-distant future after first contact was initiated by the club’s decision-makers, according to Florian Plettenberg.
It is said that Tottenham are ‘definitely interested’ in the 35-year-old’s services and have already made a ‘casual request’ to his representatives, although no formal talks or detailed contract negotiations have taken place as of yet. However, an early issue has already cropped up for Spurs, with Nagelsmann ‘unlikely’ to join their ranks immediately as he continues to ponder his next move.
The former Bayern and RB Leipzig head coach is ‘taking his time’ to assess his options in the wake of his exit from the Allianz Arena, which could spell trouble for Tottenham should they wish to get a new manager in before the summer transfer window opens. Cristian Stellini is expected to remain in charge at the club until the end of the season as things stand, but it remains to be seen whether Nagelsmann will listen to offers from other teams in the meantime if he continues to delay proceedings in north London.
JUST IN: Man Utd ‘not ruling out’ £92m move for Goncalo Ramos instead of Kane
It is also unclear if Tottenham’s interest is reciprocated by Nagelsmann, who reportedly found out that he had been sacked by Bayern while scrolling on social media during a family holiday in Austria. He could be tempted to wait and see if any stronger opportunities arise over the next few weeks, with Real Madrid thought to be weighing up the long-term future of current boss Carlo Ancelotti ahead of next season.
A change in the dugout should also not be entirely ruled out at Chelsea in spite of their insistence that Graham Potter’s job is not in danger, with the 47-year-old having endured a turbulent debut campaign at Stamford Bridge save for a string of victories over the last few weeks. The Blues are notoriously ruthless when it comes to chopping and changing their managers, which could see Nagelsmann enter the frame to replace Potter if the latter is relieved of his duties over the coming months.
Meanwhile, former Liverpool ace Steve Nicol recently insisted that Nagelsmann would be the perfect candidate for Spurs but warned that he should be clever in doing plenty of research and learning from the club’s existing coaches if he eventually decides to accept a move to the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
“I do agree that if Nagelsmann has any sense he’ll sit back and let someone like Ryan Mason take over,” Nicol told ESPN. “He can take his time, sit down and watch the matches and see what the squad is like. He can get his planning done and figure a lot of things out.
“Don’t take the job now. If he wants it it is his. If I’m Tottenham and I hear that Nagelsmann wants to be our manager, are you really going to turn him down? I think he’s perfect for Tottenham and he’s perfect for the future. Take the job but take it easy at the start.”
Want the latest Premier League news as we publish it on Express Sport? Join our Facebook group by clicking here.