With the latest May bank holiday set to see the United Kingdom bathing in sunshine, many families will be firing up the barbecue to spend some time in the great outdoors.
And while it may seem a fantastic way to spend time with your nearest and dearest, some barbecue staples could be fatal for your four-legged friends.
These include popular food choices such as garlic, chocolate and alcohol. As well as leftovers such as chicken bones that you might find yourself tempted to give to your pet.
Dr Linda Simon, veterinary surgeon at Pooch & Mut, said: “With summer in full swing, many of us are firing up the grill and enjoying delicious barbecue food with our friends and family. However, as much as we love to indulge in burgers, hot dogs, and other tasty treats, it’s important to remember that some of these foods can be toxic to our furry friends.”
Read more: Dog owners issued warning as poisonous plant linked to pet deaths
Several common barbecue foods can be harmful to dogs, including:
Garlic and onions
Corn on the cob
Grapes and raisins
So what should you do if your dog eats something it shouldn’t? Well, Dr Linda says you should act with urgency but try not to panic.
You can then contact your vet straight away so they can advise you on what to do next. The vet is likely to ask what your dog ate and in what quantity.
Dr Linda says you should answer this in as much detail as possible. This will help the vet know if your dog needs checking over.
If your dog has eaten something poisonous, Dr Linda says you should not try and treat the animal yourself. Or to try and make it sick using salt water.
Instead, keep them away from other animals and contact your vet for advice. However, if your dog has symptoms a few days later – including diarrhoea, seizures, swollen limbs or excessive panting – you should immediate call your vet.